Yesterday I went to a ‘managing your career’ workshop and the best thing to come out of it were a few networking tips that I would like to share with you…
- Share more information than you expect to get back
- Research an event/project/person before going to it/watching it/meeting them so you take an interest in what’s happening
- Be proactive – if you hear about something you can help with, volunteer for it!
- Make the most of the events that you go to
- Keep your contacts up to date and use them – don’t just wait until that point when you need a job or want something. Drop people a line to say hello or ask for their opinion on something you’re working on
- Follow up on the contacts that you make quickly
- See yourself as part of a linked environment – it’s a small world after all!
- Become known as someone who can also connect others with one another – don’t be selfish
- Spend 10 minutes a day ‘bumping into’ people
- When possible, chose for a face-to-face meeting instead of picking up the phone
Generally, I think the overall consensus of networking is a bit like exercise or learning a new language – it’s all about little and often.
I hope this has been a little useful for you. It was for me. I’m replenishing my business card stash as I type!!
The views and opinions expressed in this article are that of my own and not my employer.